General Conference – irritably parenting while listening to messages of peace and kindness twice a year. For 8 hours each time.
Yesterday’s highlights (since I have my notepad upstairs):
- Defending your faith requires courage and courtesy
- The road leading to the promised land is rough
- We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth (so do service)
- May we all find joy in bearing one another’s burdens
- You are infinitely more precious to Heavenly Father than a tree
- Spiritual whirlwinds will try to uproot you. The worst whirlwinds are the temptations of the adversary.
- Families are the treasures of heaven
- Everyone deserves our kindness and compassion
- Let the Lord be the leader of your family
Great messages today. We watched the Saturday afternoon session recording, then watched the Sunday morning session somewhat live (we were about 20 minutes behind reality), and finally watched the Sunday afternoon session as it was being broadcast. Note to self – playing it as Airplay from the BYUtv app on the iPad works *beautifully*! So much better than the session we watched on the computer while working on the girls’ rooms.
Great quotes I have in my notes:
- 50 Million People Can Be Wrong
- Loving people is a powerful influence (and if Elder Scott can become an Apostle with a non-member father and a less-active mother, then we all have opportunities available to us)
- Be careful who you follow
- We must be compassionate even when we disagree
- Don’t wait for the rainbow to be grateful for the rain
- There are no true endings, but everlasting beginnings
- Our mortal life is like the 4 minutes of an Olympic performance – we worked towards it before and will have eternity afterwards. Steer your course
- It’s never too late for repentance.
- Share your burdens and they will be made light
- Blame keeps wounds open, only forgiveness heals
- Parenting is a sacred blessing
- Live true to the faith
- Heaven is being surrounded by family
- Obedience is a choice between our limited knowledge and God’s unlimited omniscience
- The family is the pattern of heaven
- Where your treasure is, your heart is
- Faith gives you hope in tragedy and calamity
- One should not roam through garbage
The prophet left us with the thought “May our homes be filled with love and courtesy”. He also reminded us to be kind to others who do not share our faith, and to put our faith and trust in the Lord.
After that the kids went nuts a little, I made dinner (Taco Sunday doesn’t have the same ring to it as Taco Tuesday), and then we all watched Frozen. I think The Chosen One really liked it! We loved it. Hufflepuff and then Gryffindor ditched us after “Let it go”, but Ravenclaw and I loved watching it again. I’m glad we bought it.
The Chosen One really accomplished a lot in organizing the mudroom until we can get the pantries set up. I put up a skinny bookshelf in the family room and put the DVDs on it. It looks good. Hufflepuff put up her bookshelf. I hung curtains in both girls’ rooms. I tried to hang the other shelves, but we need help for that. We did put up the giant My Little Pony decals, though, and they look great! So fun!